"Thanks For The Memories"





This will be my last blog post as Assistant Superintendent at East Lake Golf Club; I have just been offered (and accepted) the Golf Course Superintendent position at thegovernorsclub.com in Brentwood, Tennessee.

March 4, 2004 was the first time I set foot on the hallowed grounds of East Lake as a fresh faced intern from Australia, and coincidentally my last day as an Assistant with East Lake will be March 4, 2015!

I honestly can't single out a particular moment that was the highlight of my time here, there has been too many, but seeing the transformation of the course for the Tour Championship is at the top. The reason I say that is due to the team work that is required to achieve the lofty goals of hosting a PGA tour event annually. The team at East Lake year after year all rally around each other and seem to raise the bar each year, and they do it with a smile on their face.

As for personal achievements, the one thing I am most proud of is this blog. I designed, created and wrote for this blog since December 2012. So far we have had 26,565 views world wide. My goal for designing the blog was to help fellow turf care professionals in the industry and to inform the members of East Lake why we do what we do. It has never been a platform to brag from or to say the way we manage turf is the only way. It was to say, this works for us, it may work for you. In addition to the blog, I created the East Agronomy twitter feed with over 1,200 followers. I wanted to thank everyone who has supported the blog and followed us on twitter, your kind comments has been greatly appreciated.

While embarking on the next chapter of my career, I take with me many great memories and new friendships forged along the way.

I would like to thank all of the crew members of East Lake, they are the unsung heroes of this club and without them East Lake would not be what it is today without their hard work and dedication.

 Last but not least, I want to thank Ralph Kepple CGCS, for mentoring, guiding, grooming and supporting me for the next step in my career.

My time here at East Lake Golf Club has been well spent.  I will honestly say that, "I left East Lake Golf Club a much better human being, and more confident in my abilities to manage my own course."  I wish the club and the agronomy department the best in their future endeavors.  I know the golf course is in very capable hands.

Shaune Achurch.


Popular Posts